On the First Day of Christmas…

Christmas is a time of festivities, being with those we love and sharing gifts.

It’s also the time of year that we dust off decorations and lights that have been kept hidden away for 12 months – or occasionally treat ourselves to new ones. Many of the things we enjoy over the Christmas period such as fairy lights, candles, paper hats and decorations can all be fire hazards when proper care is not taken.



Follow Essex County Fire & Rescue Service’s top 10 fire safety tips to make sure you stay safe this Christmas.

  • Check your Christmas tree lights conform to the British Standard.
  • Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings.
  • Make sure your family and visitors know what to do in an emergency – have an escape plan.
  • Decorations can burn easily – don’t attach them to lights or heaters.
  • Don’t overload electrical sockets and switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before you go to bed.
  • The risk of accidents, especially in the kitchen, is greater after alcohol is consumed.
  • Most fires start in the kitchen – never leave cooking unattended.
  • Keep candles, lighters and matches out of reach of children. Never leave burning candles unattended.
  • Take the time to check on elderly relatives and neighbours this Christmas – make sure they are fire safe.
  • Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service is committed to ensuring 100% of homes in Essex have a working smoke alarm. So, to help this happen, we carry out home safety visits to anyone living in Essex, completely FREE of charge.

Call us: 0300 303 0088
Complete our Online Booking Form