Drug and Alcohol Misuse

Drug Misuse

There’s no denying the link between drug use and crime. It’s estimated that a third of all property crime is related to drugs. By tackling drug use we can reduce crime.

For further information please visit Drug Wise 

Alcohol Misuse

Alcohol and drug misuse fuels most of the violent and anti-social behaviour that takes place in the town centre. Having too much to drink can lead to a number of offences, including assault, criminal damage, drink driving and, before long, a criminal record.

In fact, it’s estimated that 40% of crime involves the influence of alcohol. Almost 80% of assaults, 88% of criminal damage and 40% of domestic violence are due to excessive drinking.

Know your limit

For some, there’s no ‘off switch’ when it comes to alcohol. It’s easy to drink too much too quickly and before you know it you’re waking up the following day unable to remember how you got there or what you did last night. That’s the scary part!

To stop that happening, know your limit and stick to it. It’s recommended that men should not regularly drink more than three to four units of alcohol a day and women no more than two to three.

Alcohol Calculator

Alcohol and the law

You need to be aged 18 or over to buy and drink alcohol legally in licensed premises in Britain, but 1000 teenagers under the age of 15 are still admitted to hospital every year with alcohol poisoning. Keep you and your children safe by being aware of the law around alcohol:

Aged five and under: It’s illegal to give an alcoholic drink to a child under the age of five except in certain circumstances such as under medical supervision.

Aged under 16: Children under 16 that are not accompanied by someone aged 18 or older are not allowed on licensed premises when they are being used for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises. The licensed part of a premises is usually the bar area but this can vary.

Aged 16 or 17: Individuals aged 16 or 17 may consume (not purchase) beer, wine or cider with a table meal on the relevant premises provided that they are accompanied by someone over the aged of 18 years.

If you’re affected by drug or alcohol use – your own or someone else’s, or want further information about Drugs and Alcohol, please talk to Frank

If you are under 18, live in Essex, and are affected by drug or alcohol use, you contact Essex Young People’s Drug and Alcohol Service